> On Jun 1, 2020, at 23:32, 'anotherhoward' via BBEdit Talk
> <bbedit@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> What if I wanted to extract all the text up to, but not including, the left
> parenthesis?

Then you need to check that the left parenthesis is ahead of the stuff you need
to match. So it's a "lookahead is there's a left parens!":

^.+(?=\()

And if you want to *extract* the stuff that matches, you have a cute "Extract"
button in the Search dialog to do that.

The manual is of tremendous help too.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune