On 06/29/2021, at 00:37, Murat <myi...@gmail.com <mailto:myi...@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>     set result to (find "<title>" searching in ¬
>         (alias "full HFS path to my file") ¬
>             options {starting at top:true} with selecting match)
>
>     if (found of result) then .....
>
> Script debugger tells me, for the last line
> Variable result is undefined.
>
> If I execute with option returning results, the variable is defined but its
> structure does not correspond with what the script given in the manual for
> the replacement part expects as structure...

Hey Murat,

Do not make a habit of using the result variable in AppleScript.  It's too
mutable and makes debugging more difficult.

When you search a file on disk BBEdit's file search browser is activated, and
the found result of the AppleScript is omitted.

To get a found result you can do something like this.

set fileAlias to alias "MyHD:Users:UserName:Downloads:Test.ccs.txt"

tell application "BBEdit"
    set docRef to open fileAlias
    set foundRec to (find "Now.+" searching in docRef options {starting at
top:true, search mode:grep}) # with selecting match
end tell

To use this script you have to change the path to the file.

Let's make that just a bit more turnkey.

set fileAlias to alias ((path to downloads folder as text) & "Test.ccs.txt")

tell application "BBEdit"
    set docRef to open fileAlias
    set foundRec to (find "Now.+" searching in docRef options {starting at
top:true, search mode:grep}) # with selecting match
end tell

Now if we have the file with the same name in the same relative location there
is no need to change the path.

You could also write that using a Unix style relative path.  BBEdit

set filePath to "~/Downloads/Test.ccs.txt"
tell application "System Events" to set fullFilePath to POSIX path of disk item
filePath

tell application "BBEdit"
    set docRef to open fullFilePath

--
Best Regards,
Chris

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request
or need technical support, please email "supp...@barebones.com" rather than