On Aug 14, 2021, at 20:17, e2o <eeol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, excellent stuff - thank  you both. Now as I try to figure out how I'll
> script this, my initial ideas are fairly cumbersome. Yeah, I could bring up
> the Find dialog, paste in the search criteria and  [ ⌘ ⌥ ⌃ G ], but is there
> a repeatable way using a named saved search or something?

I'm probably missing something here :-) but why is it important that you be
able to script this action: do you just want to be able to perform this
operation on demand whenever you open a suitable document, or do you want to
integrate it into a larger external workflow?

Again, a concrete example with steps would be extremely helpful. :-)

If however a search & replace of the form you describe below:

> find (myInitialLines)(thenEverythingToTheEnd) and replace with \1\2\1

*would* do the job then you need only create a text factory which contains a
Replace All action with the specified Find and Replace patterns, then save that
factory as a _text filter_ and you can assign it a key shortcut to invoke
against the current document at any time.

> I was hoping a Text Factory would have something as simple as a Find and Copy
> command, but it seems to insist on a Replace.

For reference, text factories are designed to _transform_ whatever text you
apply them to: whether the contents of the current document when run as a _text
filter_, or a batch of files when run globally as a _script_, and the advantage
of using a text factory is that you can easily define and apply any desired set
of actions (i.e. text transformations) with no need for scripting.

> I guess I could find (myInitialLines)(thenEverythingToTheEnd) and replace
> with \1\2\1 - which would result in copying my initial non-blank lines to the
> end of the document - but that seems kinda kludgy.

If that is what you wish to accomplish then I don't see anything at all kludgy
about the solution; it's an entirely valid transform.

Regards,

 Patrick Woolsey
==
Bare Bones Software, Inc.             <https://www.barebones.com/>

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request
or need technical support, please email "supp...@barebones.com" rather than