If I select every occurrence of "whatsit" through which ever means.

Work file:

def do_something( doohickeis )
        doohickeis.each do | whatsit |
                whatsit.this!
                whatsit.that!
                print whatsit
        end
end

Then run this AppleScript.

AppleScript:
tell window 1 of application "BBEdit"
        set stuff to get selection
end tell

It returns a list like this.

List:
{characters 54 thru 60 of text document 1, characters 66 thru 72 of text
document 1, characters 82 thru 88 of text document 1, characters 104 thru 110
of text document 1}

Thats great, but if I use that list to select those items again like this.

AppleScript:
tell window 1 of application "BBEdit"
        set stuff to get selection
        select stuff
end tell

Each selection will shrink by one character, from the right end of the
selection. So characters 54 thru 60 will look like 54 thru 59 as so on through
the list. This list as reported by AppleScript will not change the first time,
but will if you run the script multiple times. The selections will shrink on
every consecutive run until they're gone.

If I do the same thing with a contiguous selection (no lists involved just the
range of characters) this doesn't happen.

What's going on here?

Thanks,
— Chris(topher)?

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request
or need technical support, please email "supp...@barebones.com" rather than