If your goal is, very specifically, to be sure that every line in your file has
17 tabs in it, there is a simple solution.

>From the BBEdit Text menu, choose “Process lines containing…”.

Choose the “Find lines that … do not contain: option.
In the search field, enter

Check the Grep option, choose your preferred result options, and click Process.
You will get a list (or report, or whatever) of all the lines in your file that
don’t contain 17 tabs.

Cheers,
Neil Faiman