I expect what is happening here is that what you copied and pasted from Wikipedia is not Code Page 437 but rather is Unicode for the same glyphs. The Unicode glyphs would display properly. What you're copying that's not working is probably not carrying the metadata saying what code page it is, so the bytes are interpreted wrong. -- Darren Duncan

On 2024-03-17 5:07 p.m., Bill Kochman wrote:
Hello Folks,

I recently resurrected — probably for the fourth time — my PC-ANSI-based BBS, which I first began running in 1993.

So, I am remaking all of my ANSI screens from screenshots I took back in 2015, which is when I last ran my board.

My question is the following:

Can BBEdit properly display what seems to be an older version of the Code Page 437 ANSI characters? I am talking about the different shaded blocks, bars, lines, etc., that us older guys used to use to manually make our ANSI screens.

Sadly, if I paste an ANSI screen in a BBEdit text file, all of the ANSI characters are just gibberish. I seem to recall that a number of years ago, I could actually see the ANSI characters, exactly as you would see them displayed on a BBS. on your computer or in a telnet client.

To clarify, if I copy and paste Code Page 437 ANSI characters from the Wikipedia website, or from an ANSI art program, they do appear properly in a BBEdit document, like this:

]  [  ↨  ↑  ↓  →  ←  ↔  ☺  ☻  ♥  ☼  §  ◙  ○  ◘

░  ▒  ▓

Γ │  ┤  ├  ⌐  ¬  ┌  ┐  └  ┘  ┴  ┬  ├  ─  -  –  _

╡  ╞  ╧  ╨  ╤  ╥  ╢  ╟  ╫  ╪  ╓  ╖  ╒  ╕  ╙  ╜  ╒  ╛  ╘

╣  ╠  ║  ╔  ╗  ╚    ╝  ╩  ╦  ═  ╬

However, if I copy and paste the very same characters from my actual BBS, they look like this:

»  Õ  º  ∫  …  ª  À

⁄  ø  ƒ  ≥  ¿  Ÿ  ¥  ¬

So it seems that my BBS may possibly use an older flavor of ANSI characters which BBEdit does not recognize, or at least does not know how to properly display.

In fact, if I  try to use the first group of ANSI characters above in my BBS, it won’t even let me, and it just beeps. Yes, my BBS is OLD, from the 80s and the 90s.  :)

Kind regards,
Kind regards,

graphical-email-signature 400x185.jpg

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or need technical support, please email "supp...@barebones.com" rather than posting here. Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <https://twitter.com/bbedit <https://twitter.com/bbedit>>
---