Michael Buesch wrote:
On Thursday 16 February 2006 04:09, Larry Finger wrote:

The current version of the bcm43xx-softmac driver scans 14 channels, even though channels greater than 11 are not permitted in the US and Canada. Similarly only channels 1-13 are allowed in Europe. AFAIK, channel 14 is only allowed in Japan. The attached patch uses the value in bcm->sprom.locale to set the maximum channel according to the guidelines. This patch is drawn against the 060215 snapshot.

No, this is wrong. read the comment above the
bcm43xx_is_valid_channel() function. This function is only used
to verify, that an integer value is a _technically_ valid channel
number.

There currently is no such thing as regdomain control in the
linux ieee802.11 code. This is a major thing, which needs to be
added. But it must not be added to all the drivers, but the
ieee802.11 common code.

I agree, but placed the patch where I did because I couldn't find any code in ieee80211 that even sets frequencies.

I will formulate a patch that puts the domain regulations into ieee80211 and submit it to Linville, then suggest changes to bcm43xx once ieee80211 has been changed.

Incidentally, bcm43xx_is_valid_channel probably should be replaced by ieee80211_is_valid_channel as follows:

static inline
int bcm43xx_is_valid_channel(struct bcm43xx_private *bcm,
                            u8 channel)
{
        return ieee80211_is_valid_channel(bcm->ieee,channel);
}

Thanks,

Larry