On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 09:37:41PM +0200, Michael Buesch wrote:
> On Sunday 16 April 2006 21:09, Marc Singer wrote:
> > I'm using a 3 year old notebook computer with a built-in BCM 4306
> > chip.  When I turn-up the interface, I see this in the dmesg log.
> >
> >  bcm43xx: PHY connected
> >  bcm43xx: Radio turned on
> >  bcm43xx: Chip initialized
> >  bcm43xx: DMA initialized
> >  bcm43xx: 80211 cores initialized
> >  bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at
> > drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1119
> >  bcm43xx: TODO: Incomplete code in keymac_write() at
> > drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx_main.c:1119
> >
> > The code says:
> >
> >    } else {
> >            if (index < 8) {
> >                    TODO(); /* Put them in the macaddress filter */
> >            } else {
> >                    TODO();
> > ***** This is the one.
> >
> >                    /* Put them BCM43xx_SHM_SHARED, stating index 0x0120.
> >                       Keep in mind to update the count of keymacs in 0x003E
> >                       as well! */
> >            }
> >
> > Does this mean this chip isn't yet supported?
>
> Uhm, did you actually _try_ to use it?

Of course I tried it.  The driver doesn't associate.  Once it's turned up

  # ip link set  eth1 up

it never gets carrier.  The AP is unencrypted and unprotected.

  # ip link show eth1
  3: eth1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen
1000
  link/ether 00:90:96:67:24:17 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I've even set the ESS explicitly.  iwlist scan shows a list of APs.
The iwconfig even shows that it knows the MAC of the AP.  Still, no carrier.

I asked about the message because it suggests that something needs to
be done.  The comment doesn't say why.

The other thing I did that I'm not sure about is I used firmware from
a driver other than the one provided by the manufacturer.  I read
somewhere that it doesn't matter which version we use as long as
fwcutter and the driver accept it.  The manufacturer's firmware is too
old for both.