On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 09:26:47PM +0200, Michael Buesch wrote:
> So, here we go. Preemptible Periodic Work for bcm43xx-softmac.
> Please stress-test with all methods which come to your minds.

I tested with the same configuration that I could always crash before
(smp/preempt/debug kernel, then run iperf load tests for an hour or so).
I couldn't get it to crash this time. I saw no problems at all.

This was the non-shared interrupt case - /proc/interrupts looked like
this when I gave up (i lost the beginning):

  8:          0    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
  9:       9185   IO-APIC-level  acpi
 12:       5305    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
 14:      62265    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 15:      40518    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
 16:          4   IO-APIC-level  yenta, ohci1394
 17:          1   IO-APIC-level  yenta, rtk
 18:        435   IO-APIC-level  ohci_hcd:usb1, NVidia nForce3 Modem
 19:         36   IO-APIC-level  ohci_hcd:usb2, NVidia nForce3
 20:          0   IO-APIC-level  ehci_hcd:usb3
 21:   11233681   IO-APIC-level  bcm43xx
NMI:       1419
LOC:    1157643
ERR:          0
MIS:       6251
             21
           9149

So I decided to test the shared interrupt case. When I boot this machine
with 'noapic', I get a /proc/interrupts that looks like this:

           CPU0
  0:     209671          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       1648          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  7:         42          XT-PIC  parport0
  8:          0          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:        472          XT-PIC  acpi
 10:        575          XT-PIC  yenta, ohci_hcd:usb2, ehci_hcd:usb3, NVidia
nForce3 Modem, rtk
 11:     904239          XT-PIC  yenta, ohci1394, ohci_hcd:usb1, NVidia
nForce3, bcm43xx
 12:        120          XT-PIC  i8042
 14:      54296          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:       6822          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:        113
LOC:     209646
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

I found out which of the usb ports was on irq 11, plugged in a usb
mouse, and checked that it generated interrupts. (I had to do
"cat /dev/input/mice > /dev/null"). Then I repeated the network load
tests on the shared bcm43xx irq. Still no problems.

looks good! send it upstream. :)

Jason