Michael Buesch wrote:
> On Friday 18 August 2006 13:52, Michael Buesch wrote:
>> Hm, I don't see anything special.
>> There's only one packet retried once, but even that succeed after the retry.
>> I would say that's normal noise.
>>
>> So, what's going on there? Did you try with another card and driver, but
>> with the
>> same AP? Did you try with another operating system on the same AP?
>> Did you try another encryption algorithm or without encryption?
>
> Larry, we talked about the issue on IRC and we decided that it's
> best if you could take a capture of the whole traffic.
> So, please set up another card in monitor mode to capture the
> broken traffic between your card in question and the AP.
>
> Best would probably be, if you post an ethereal log somewhere (in
> private, as you might not want to post your network data here :) )
>
> Thing is, we aren't able to reproduce the issue.
> I just tried various things with my 4306 card and it works exactly
> as relieable as under OSX here.

This is the only card I have. I have not tried with another set of firmware,
but this driver works perfectly well with Windows XP, and it used to work
with ndiswrapper. I stopped making kernels with 8K stacks, so cannot run
ndiswrapper any more.

> We also talked about interference. What type of interference could
> be possible for you? Microwave ovens? If I put my laptop directly
> on top of the uwave oven and switch it on, connection is destroyed.
> But it recovers immediately, if I move away from the thing or
> switch it off. Maybe there's some older oven somewhere? Or some
> other device transmitting in the 2.4G band? Did you try to switch
> to a different channel? Be aware of adjacent channel interference,
> too. So, if you're currently on channel 1, try to switch to channel 13.

I don't think it is interference. There are two other AP's that I can detect
with "iwlist s". I'm on channel 1, and the other two are on channels 6 and 11.
This should be the ideal case. I don't have any other 2.4 GHz equipment, and the
microwave was off. I am in the US and cannot use ch. 13. My AP has regulatory
restrictions and only goes to 11.

> You could probably also try to play with the interference
> mitigation code, which is provided by the driver. We are not sure
> if it works correctly, but it's worth a try.
> The interference mitigation mode can be selected through the bcm43xx
> sysfs attributes. It defaults to OFF. See file bcm43xx_sysfs.c for
> details on possible modes.
>
> Well, finally, I would like to look at some ethereal logs of the
> whole thing. Especially looking at the retransmission bit and ack
> packets could be interresting.

I will set up a configuration that lets me capture packets in monitor mode
using kismet and send you the capture file. The host I will be using is
for the capture is rather low powered, so it doesn't have X, but it makes a
good file server.

Thanks,

Larry