Michael,

Let me explain a little more completely what I am thinking, and what I have
done. As I see it, the 3
most important problems not yet solved by the bcm43xx code (in either branch)
are (1) the inability
to transmit at higher than 11 Mb/s, (2) the difficulties with at least the 4318
chips, and perhaps
other chips as well, in a setting with several active APs, and (3) the lack of
PCI-E support. I am
not in a position to do much about (1) or (2), so I am trying to help with
PCI-E. From reading the
support forums and mailing lists, I know that a lot of people are reluctant to
go to the effort of
implementing and learning git; therefore, the d80211 tree is effectively off
limits for them. As a
result, I decided to find a willing tester (which I have), develop a patch for
Linus's tree that
would support PCI-E, and send that patch to the tester privately. When I
started this project, I
discovered that the only copy of Stefano's PCI-E patches that I could access
had corrupted white
space. All tabs had been replaced by spaces. I sent mail to him requesting a
new copy, but as you
know, he has been off-line. Accordingly, I checked to see if the ssb changes in
d80211 could be
backported. To do this, I looked at the differences between the softmac and
d80211 versions of
bcm43xx, figured out what was different, and modified softmac accordingly. It
took a bit of effort,
but that is the version that is now working. The code for ssb was copied from
the latest wireless-dev.

Michael Buesch wrote:
> On Friday 01 September 2006 18:00, Larry Finger wrote:
>
> It is not sent for inclusion into mainline and I am not sure how
> to handle this. if we simply merge it into mainline, we will end
> up with all sorts of horrible and hard to resolve rejects in the
> wireless-dev tree, where the patch is merged.

The version of ssb that I am using is exactly the one in wireless-dev.git now.
There are _no_
differences in ssb.c nor ssb.h. I am using an earlier version of Kconfig than
are you, but that is
the only difference. Merging should be a non-issue.

> But besides that, I don't really see a benefit from using ssb
> with bcm43xx-softmac. Porting bcm43xx-softmac to ssb has a
> potential to make perfectly stable and well tested code unstable.

I grant you this point, but as stated earlier, this seemed to be my only way to
get the PCI-E stuff
into the code. I do not find bcm43xx-softmac to be particularly stable. It does
not crash the
machine, but the interface goes off-line 6-10 times per day, and I have to give
an ifdown/ifup
sequence to restore operation. It went off-line while I was writing this
message. The
ssb-bcm43xx-softmac version is no worse than standard wireless-2.6.

> And other than that, I have big changes queued for ssb. These changes
> _will_ horribly conflict with the bcm43xx-softmac port. And this is
> really nontrivial to resolve and to get right.

Here you have me. Once my tester and I discover what changes are needed to get
PCI-E working with my
bastard system, I'll submit the appropriate patches to you.

Thanks,

Larry