On Tuesday 19 September 2006 20:55, Zahir Toufie wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 18:50 +0200, Michael Buesch wrote:
>
> > If you want >1G, get a device which supports this.
>
> This is really not an option.
>
> First and foremost reason is that I like many others use a notebook with
> built in hardware. So the option to simply replace the hardware is
> unrealistic at best.
>
> Secondly even newer hardware like the Acer Ferrari 5000, Asus
> Lamborghini and many more now supports memory way above 1GB. The Acer
> for instance supports upto 4GB RAM. Saying that there simply is no way
> to get a working driver for that kind of hardware will only cause people
> to rethink moving to linux and sticky with what works Win XP / Vista.
>
> Now I'm no Win fan by any chance and I have been a long supporter, user
> and hacker of linux since the days when the network drivers were still
> embeded inside the kernel, back in '94. We've come along way since then
> and I simply can't believe that there is absolutely no way of working
> around this problem.

Oh, come one. If you are a long supporter, user and hacker, you can surely
come up with a good solution that
a) works and
b) is not a damn ugly hack

This is the same issue as with PCI-E hardware. _Lots_ of people
request it, but nobody is going to implement and test it.
Well, I can't do it for you, as I don't have the hardware.

--
Greetings Michael.