On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 11:19 -0600, Larry Finger wrote:

> It is straight-forward for me with SoftMAC using openSUSE 10.2 with KDE. In
> YaST, I told
> NetworkServices/NetworkDevices that I was using NM to configure, rather than
> the ifcfg method. After
> logging in, I clicked on the NM helper applet and clicked on the item for my
> AP. Up popped up a box
> for encryption type and key information. I also checked the box saying I
> wanted my key saved. Now
> when I first boot, I need to enter my password for the KDE wallet; however,
> the much longer WPA
> passphrase does not need to be reentered. NM then associates and
> authenticates with my AP without
> further actions by me.
>
> Of course, your distro may be different; however, on my system, NM is easier
> than anything I've ever
> had with any other OS, including Windows XP and openSUSE 10.0. I'm really
> pleased with it. ATM it
> doesn't work with d80211; however, Jiri is working on a fix for that.

It works similarly with Gnome and Gentoo.  I start the NetworkManager
service, and tell the boot scripts not to autostart the network script
for that NIC.  Then, nm-applet stores the keys in the Gnome Keyring.  I
have pam_keyring setup, so I can log in with my keyring passphrase, and
my keyring is automatically unlocked; but if you can't (or don't want)
to do that, you'll just get the password dialog for keyring, same as KDE
wallet.

I have to say, NM is great to use, and I miss it when I can't use it. (I
have a 4318, so I can only use it at work where it's sitting right next
to my AP.  Otherwise, I have to use prism54, which doesn't work with
wpa_supplicant/NM right now, for some reason I haven't tracked down
yet.)

Daniel