On Thursday 22 March 2007 13:58, John W. Linville wrote:
> Why?  What value do you predict in having an out-of-tree softmac
> version available?  Would that effort be better spent on improving
> the in-tree mac80211 version?

Once mac80211 is merged we probaby need a (out of tree?) fork of the
bcm43xx-softmac to support old 802.11b cards. The new driver can't
support this anymore (issues with firmware. It's simply too hard
to support both architectures in one driver).
We could probably still leave a stripped down bcm43xx-softmac
in the kernel, though that would require for softmac to stay there, too.
I lean towards doing an out of tree tarball to get the legacy stuff
out of the main kernel tree. Larry, some opinion?

--
Greetings Michael.