I found the problem. I didn't have CONFIG_DEBUG_FS which seems to be needed.
IMHO it should be selected automatically when debug is selected.
With debug_fs enabled I can remove and insert the module, scan network and
associate just fine.
When 0-4 meters away from AP I get a steady rate of 18.5Mbps with iperf. When
walking further away the transmission stops completely. This is when module
is loaded and interface brought up next to the AP. I then get 54Mbit
connection.

When loading the module from 5 metres away I get 1Mbit connection which is not
very stable, but still usable.

Rate doesn't seem to change when signal drops. If it were I'm sure bcm4301
would be on par or better than the driver for that other os.

I feel it's very close with this driver. I've never got more than 500kbit TX
speed with the bcm43xx driver.

Keep up the good work!