Frederik wrote:

> Well, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels,
> channel 13 would be permitted in Europe (where I live). So mac80211
> will never permit this, even if it's legal to use?
>
> I am having the same problem connecting to my wireless access point on
> channel 13: iwlist scan finds the device, but any attempt to
> associate, times out. I'm not sure if this would be a hardware
> limitation, or rather something in the firmware or driver preventing
> this. I have one machine (Apple Powermac G4), where I cannot associate
> to this AP, neither with bcm43xx, neither with b43. I'm not sure if
> this would be a hardware limitation, the firmware, or the Linux driver
> who is responsible.
>
> On another machine (i386 with a Broadcom based pc card), I succeed in
> associating to the access point on channel 13 with bcm43xx, but it
> fails with b43.
>
> Well, even in Windows using channel 13 is confusing: with a Windows
> machine having an Intel wireless chipset, with the default Windows
> utility, it fails to associate, but with the wireless tools from
> Intel, it succeeds...
>
> Maybe I should try with another channel soon to verify if that's
> really the reason why it does not work.

In SoftMAC, the regulatory domain code defaulted to the Japanese standard and
allowed channels 1-14.
As I said earlier, mac80211 defaults to the FCC standard with channels 1-11. If
you want to use
channels 12 or 13, you need to load mac80211 with an 'ieee80211_regdom = 64'
option to allow the
extra channels.

Larry