On Sunday 13 January 2008 18:08:57 Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Why?
> >
> > Well, the unregistering itself is not really harmful, provided that the
> > device
> > is not registered back during the subsequent resume.
> >
> > The PM core uses a list of active devices that are added to the list in
> > device_add().  The ordering of this list is important, because it is
> > expected
> > to reflect the order in which the devices are to be suspended.
> >
> > This list is manipulated during suspend/resume and devices are moved from it
> > and back to it, so unregistering devices during a suspend and registering
> > them
> > during the subsequent resume generally changes its ordering and may lead to
> > problems during the next suspend/resume cycle.
> >
> > This is also undesirable if we're going to stop using the freezer for
> > suspend/resume at one point in the future.
> >
> > I'm sure Alan can add some more details.
>
> Indeed.  A system suspend is a delicate operation, and the PM core
> needs to access all the devices in the system.  To have devices being
> registered and unregistered at the same time would cause a lot of
> confusion.  In self defense, the PM core starts out by acquiring all
> the device semaphores before calling the suspend routines.  This means
> that if a suspend routine tries to unregister anything, it will
> deadlock at the point where the driver core tries to acquire the device
> semaphore prior to invoking the driver's remove method.
>
> Besides, if you're going to register the device right back again during
> the subsequent resume, then why go to the trouble of unregistering it
> during suspend?  Why not just leave it registered the whole time and
> avoid all the complication (and excess meaningless uevents)?

Well, because not doing it complicates code :)
Currently suspend/resume calls the same code as init/exit.
The b43 init/exit code is really complicated, compared to other
drivers, due to dozens of hardware versions. So I just avoided
having yet other codepaths for suspend/resume. But I will add
a flag to the device structure that's used to avoid unregistering stuff.

--
Greetings Michael.