On Saturday 09 February 2008 17:12:02 Michael Buesch wrote:
> On Saturday 09 February 2008 17:08:00 Larry Finger wrote:
> > (3) Your udev renaming rules are F**CKED UP. The clue is that iwconfig
> > shows wlan0-rename. In
> > addition, as Michael said "you have the wrong firmware. If Ubuntu would get
> > their heads out of their
> > backsides and enable debugging messages, the firmware version would be
> > plainly visible.
>
> oh, ok. So we only print this with debugging enabled?
> I will submit a patch.
> The firmware version has really become a critical point, so it makes sense to
> always show the version number.

And, I do actually disagree that distributions should switch debugging on.
We should make sure that the driver prints enough error messages in the error
case, so users can see what's going wrong without enabling debugging.
At least as far as external parameters like the firmware are concerned.
That's actually the reason I submitted the patch to add a some driver-load
message, which basically prints out the basic kconfig and required firmware
for the driver. So if someone complains rfkill doesn't work and this line
does not include the "R", we can easily point him to a to-be-written FAQ
explaining that he needs to enable it in the kernel config.

I'm trying to get user noise down on this list, as it raised since we switched
to b43. Mainly for firmware confusion reasons. But also because Ubuntu udev
is still broken. They should really fix that. It's not only b43 which is
"broken"
because of this.

So if somebody has some other idea to reduce the FAQ-noise on this list, please
shout out loud. ;)

--
Greetings Michael.