On Jun 06, 2008, at 13:58 PM, Larry Finger wrote:

Dale Walsh wrote:
(SEE PREVIOUS POST)
On Jun 06, 2008, at 00:26 AM, Larry Finger wrote:

The sprom updating facility described above utilizes the /sys pseudo-file system of Linux and will never work on any other OS. Your only hope would be to find a user with Linux on his Apple hardware and build the ssb-sprom utility. If you were to place the resulting executable on a flash drive, you could boot the appropriate version of a live CD, then execute ssb-sprom from the flash device. The codes could also be changed by a Linux user with x86 (PC) hardware as long as the card will fit in their computer.
If I could find the ssb-sprom source I might be able to generate a version that works on a Mac, I do have a little skill. I also have x86 computer hardware that can run linux I believe, unless linux doesn't support 500gb HDA's, ATI X1300 video cards, ICH7 or Core 2 Quad CPU's?

You are showing your ignorance!

I have no problems using a CLI utility and navigation is not an issue. Hopefully someone can provide a link for a windows utility that fits my needs or a GNU source package that can be built on the majority of *nix based OSes that doesn't have many obscure external dependancies (I have been know to compile things that don't normally compile on my OS).

As explained above, this cannot happen.
I'll refrain from responding to this comment because I am not entirely convinced this is factual at this time.

The package ssb-sprom can be built on a Mac, both MacIntel and PPC, and it would allow you to manipulate an on-disk version of the SPROM contents. To look at what is required to get a read or write of the SPROM contents, grab a copy of Linux 2.6.24 or later and examine the PCI routines in the directory drivers/ssb/. Much of the code is used to handle the SPROM. Please note that it IS IN THE KERNEL. No user-land entity that reports the ID's, etc has the capability to write the SPROM.

Have all of these tools already, just need to read in sprom to disk so I can make the changes.

From a more recent note in this thread, it seems that you can change a simple file to include your device. If that is really true, please do it that way. Anytime one rewrites the SPROM, there is a finite chance of bricking your device. Do it only if necessary!!!

subsys is hardcoded in driver so you cannot make a simple edit.

Larry

-- Dale