On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 07:26:57 -0500
Larry Finger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Celejar wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 00:16:28 -0500
> > Larry Finger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> You need the patch at
> >>
> >> http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=122117070715002&w=2
> >>
> >> Your mention of hidden essid's made me think this was a different
> >> problem. This bug makes all the channels disabled and kills all wireless.
> >
> > No; wireless *works* with another AP, although there are some PHY
> > transmission errors.  At least two differences between the two APs -
> > the working one broadcasts essid, as I mentioned earlier, and it uses
> > WPA-PSK TKIP.  The non-working one hides its essid, and doesn't use
> > encryption.  Earlier kernels worked fine on both.  iw shows that even
> > on the bad kernel, the channels aren't disabled, as they are in the
> > page you link to.  This seems to be a different problem.
> >
> > $ bin/iw dev wmaster0 info
> > Band 1:
> >         Frequencies:
> >                 * 2412 MHz (passive scanning, no IBSS)
> >                 * 2417 MHz (passive scanning, no IBSS)
> >                 * 2422 MHz (passive scanning, no IBSS)
> >                 * 2427 MHz (passive scanning, no IBSS)
> >                 * 2432 MHz (passive scanning, no IBSS)
> >                 * 2437 MHz (passive scanning, no IBSS)
> >                 * 2442 MHz (passive scanning, no IBSS)
> >                 * 2447 MHz (passive scanning, no IBSS)
> >                 * 2452 MHz (passive scanning, no IBSS)
> >                 * 2457 MHz (passive scanning, no IBSS)
> >                 * 2462 MHz (passive scanning, no IBSS)
>
> It is the passive scanning that is killing you. For hidden essid, you
> need an active scan. You need to implement the CRDA
> (http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Regulatory/CRDA), which will
> get your system to provide active scanning.

Okay, I built and installed CRDA, and I now get:

Band 1:
        Frequencies:
                * 2412 MHz
                * 2417 MHz
                * 2422 MHz
                * 2427 MHz
                * 2432 MHz
                * 2437 MHz
                * 2442 MHz
                * 2447 MHz
                * 2452 MHz
                * 2457 MHz
                * 2462 MHz
                * 2467 MHz (disabled)
                * 2472 MHz (disabled)
                * 2484 MHz (disabled)

[This is also what I get with an earlier kernel.]

But the card *still* won't associate with the hidden essid AP; is there
anything else I need to do after 'make, make install' CRDA?

> Larry

Thanks,
Celejar