On Wednesday 24 December 2008 16:58:14 Gene Heskett wrote:
> With all due respect Michael, if it has been disabled by the panel switch
> such
> as the one on my lappy, can it not be made to emit such an error message so
> that we know we have to toggle that pushbutton?

We emit a message that the radio is disabled.
The b43 driver has exactly one read-only bit to determine whether the radio
is on or off. It polls that bit every second and displays a message when it
got toggled.
That's all we can do from within the driver.

_If_ you can switch it by software, which is theoretically possible of course,
then _not_ through the broadcom wireless PCI device. It has to be done through
another device. So you must load the driver for that device and switch the
signal.

> On my HP- dv5120us, there is
> no tactile feel, or any other means to determine the state of this switch, an
> apparently push-push switch.  The LED is no help cuz you can and do turn it
> on and off at will regardless of the state of the switch.  Having to push the
> button and reboot to see if that fixes it doesn't seem like a very productive
> way to spend an evening.  So I give up and plug in a cable, hundreds of times
> faster to get a network connection, or if on the road, to borrow a little
> dlink tranceiver from the motel.  That after all, is the target condition we
> are trying to achieve.

I think you should send this to HP.
I really can't do anything about it. All I have is one single read-only bit.

--
Greetings, Michael.