On Wednesday 14 January 2009 02:19:05 David Ellingsworth wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Paul Harris <p...@whotookspaz.org> wrote:
> > Hello there,
> >
> > I was wondering if it would be at all possible for the developers of b43 to
> > consider dual licensing the drivers, so
> > that users of other UNIX systems could benefit from them (in particular as
> > part of the kernel). Obviously, as they're
> > not BSD-licensed, they can't be integrated into any BSD kernel, which is a
> > real shame, since this
> > makes wireless connectivity on a lot of machines impossible. At best, I'd
> > like to ask for the code to be released
> > under both licenses, but if this isn't a possibility I'd hope it would at
> > least be possible for special permission
> > to be given allowing the drivers to be BSD-licensed for integration into the
> > FreeBSD kernel only (the blue pill.)
> > Thanks for your consideration.
>
> More than likely, this is not going to happen. Broadcom has made it
> extremely difficult to develop these drivers and last I heard the
> developers weren't too adamant about providing a path whereby Broadcom
> could take advantage of their efforts without contributing back to the
> community. If you search archives, you'll see there's plenty of
> tension around licensing the code under a BSD style license. *cough*
> bcm *cough*

Please don't spread clearly incorrect statements like these.

I am willing to relicense parts of the driver on a per-case base. I said that
more than once. Please contact me and the other copyright holders _BEFORE_ you
take the code.
So you show me the lines you want, and we decide whether you get permission or
not.

Everything I said in this thread:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=117571766928130&w=2
still applies.

Besides that, you might want to contact the DragonFly people, which are
developing a BSD licensed BCM driver from scratch.

--
Greetings, Michael.