On 01/05/2010 11:21 AM, Michael Buesch wrote:

> Well, just do the thing that makes most sense.
> In general we all agree that we should _not_ implement crap, just because
> broadcom does so, if we can do better. So, in this case, if we can do a
> subfunction call and that function does make sense, we should do so for the
> sake of readability (I didn't look into detail, though.).
> Same goes for algorithms and stuff. If we realize that we can do better, do
> _not_
> implement Broadcrap and instead implement a better version.

I agree with Michael that we do not need to follow Broadcrap (nice phrase);
however, as we usually have no idea of what is going on inside the chip, we do
need to read/write exactly the same registers as they do without skipping any or
touching any others.

For the record, the specs will usually follow the Broadcrap way. I did come upon
one exception recently. After quite a bit of decision making that did not touch
any registers nor change any global variables, they suddenly tested for 2.4 GHz
mode and exited if found. I moved that test to the beginning of the routine.

Larry