On Saturday 27 February 2010 16:55:09 Larry Finger wrote:
> On 02/27/2010 09:16 AM, Michael Buesch wrote:
> > On Friday 26 February 2010 23:03:28 Gábor Stefanik wrote:
> >> BTW there is an interesting difference in the early init between wl
> >> and b43: b43 sets bit 0x200 in core register 0x600, while wl sets
> >> 0x8000 in register 0x280a - an undocumented register.
> >
> > Well, it is not only undocumented, it's also far beyond the address space.
> > SSB core address space goes from 0-0xFFF. And (more important!) the PCI
> > address
> > space for MMIO is only 8k wide (I think there also are 4k devices).
> > Are you really sure your dumping is correct? I suspect a bug in your mmio
> > dumping tools.
> > I'd say the "undocumented" register is a completely unrelated hardware
> > access
> > in a completely different device that just happens to be mapped right after
> > ssb.
>
> There are definite instances where the vendor driver writes beyond 0xFFF. I'm
> pretty sure that some models shadow EEPROM above 0x1000. I don't know about
> 0x280A.

Well, writing beyond 0xFFF is one thing. But writing beyond 0x2000 is another.
The latter one writes beyond the mapped PCI space. Which basically writes to
random
memory or whatever happens to be mapped there (arch dependent).

I would also not rule out typos in the vendor driver.
So, you might try if that particular write fixes the problem. But I doubt it
can do so.
And if it doesn't, we should not apply it, because it's obviously incorrect.

--
Greetings, Michael.