Ok.  I got my wireless card to detect networks again.  I also had a
theory and tried to reproduce the problem, and was successful in doing
so.  Here are my steps to reproduce:
1) Have Vista running and connected to a wireless network
2) Hibernate Vista
3) Boot Parted Magic from a USB drive
4) Start the network in Parted Magic, ask it to use wireless, and then
attempt to connect to my normal SSID, which at this point sees the
SSID, but cannot connect due to an apparent DHCP lease error
5) Start the network in Parted Magic again, which this time fails with
a generic error and does not show any SSID's (starting it a second
time is necessary to reproduce the problem)
6) Reboot
7) Resume Vista
8) At this point, Vista loses connectivity to the wireless network
9) Reboot Vista
10) Vista still cannot see any wireless networks
11) Shutdown
12) Remove power cord and battery and wait a bit
13) Boot Vista, and it now works and sees the network

As you just eluded to, it seems that the power-down and battery
removal is necessary
What do you think is the culprit here?

This laptop is a Dell Latitude E6400