On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 2:11 PM, William Waites <wwai...@tardis.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 13:54:07 +0100, Roger Jørgensen <rog...@gmail.com> said:
>
>     > It's a good start, but could you rewrite the part on "Address
>     > Allocation"
>
> Well, yes, that was just a placeholder sentence! But I've made the
> change as you asked. I'm not sure I agree though, and the reason is
> not to do with efficiency of address space use but operational ease
> of provisioning.
>
> Operationally, what does this mean? The most common case is going to
> be a single subnet, so how is the gateway going to know which one out
> of the /56 to use? Somebody has to pick a /64 to put on the inside
> ethernet interface. How is this done? No problem *assigning* a /56 but
> using it is another matter.

ah I see, bad wording from my side.

Any _end-user_ should get minimum a /56 for their use, an assignment.
How they use that assignment are another technical matter - that's the
operational side.

On the actual use of IPv6 addresses I guess
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-carpenter-6man-why64-01 is a better
source for information. It mention cases where a /64 is the best
choice, and where other sizes can, and can not be used.

--

Roger Jorgensen           | ROJO9-RIPE
rog...@gmail.com          | - IPv6 is The Key!