Carol Ann Sayle's farmstead musings.
Weekly I get a gift of writing from this lady. I love her style and
approach. Best of all, she's basically in our area so anything she's
offering now, I can backtrack on and know when I should have put it
in the ground. (so, next year, no excuses, right?)  She's a certified
Organic Grower in Austin Tx.
She just gets out there and does it. Sometimes the neighbor's pit
bulls get all her hens and we mourn. sometimes tornados rip 100
yr old pecan trees out and pummel her house with their limbs and
we mourn. sometimes we celebrate as new life emerges, always
we remain optimistic. I have at least 2 seasons of her collective
writings and I treasure each one.
Date sent:              Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:04:22 -0600

Subject:                Under Cover

December 9, 2002
Under Cover

Greetings Friends of the Farm,

It looks like a winter encampment of George Washington's troops
around here. Frosty white pup tents line the beds alongside the
driveway. Inside them gangly sugar snap peas and fava beans bear
their
snowy blooms, like combat medals. A heavy frost, such as we had
last
week, would have terminated the promise inherent in those flowers.
The
row cover, stretched over baling twine tied to stakes, in tent
fashion, protects them from the freezing dew on cold mornings, and
raises the ambient temperature by a few degrees.

It's just perfect, except that there are holes in this fleecy fabric.
Prior to the cold weather, we had ordered a fresh new roll of the
spun
polyester. We joked that it wouldn't come until after we needed it.
And, of course that's what happened. The weathermen threatened
us with
hard freezes and heavy frosts, so prudently, we headed for the big
crate tucked in at the edge of the monte (our woods).  There,
wadded
into huge balls was our resident, aged, row cover. Most of it was no
longer very white as it encounters dirt you know. Mud too. It is so
delicate (think of a single layer of baby diaper stuff) that unruly
handling, snagging it on tools and sticks, even stretching it too
vigorously, will rip it to shreds. And then you have the occasional
broccoli plant poking through, offering itself up to certain
annihilation in the frigid air, while all its sisters sleep securely
protected.

And you don't know about the holes until you roll it all out. Nor how
long each piece is. Most of our beds are two-hundred feet long. The
pieces of row cover never seem to match that. Maybe in their
off-season, they fight and tear each other apart out of jealousy. At
any rate, applying their saving grace to delicate crops is a
frustrating venture.

Larry and I have done enough of that to qualify for advanced degrees
in winter crop protection. Usually we earn our credits on Sundays,
while no one is around to help us. We always learn about the
impending
weather disasters after quitting time on Fridays.  But this past
week's timing was different. So Larry anointed Don Jesus as the
row
coverer for the day. Except that three o'clock came, Don Jesus left,
and still the baby celery was at risk. Larry was in Gause, so you
know
who got to diaper up those infants.

Yes, there was a brisk wind. There is always a brisk wind before the
final punishment of frost. So, using up the last of my common sense, I
started at the north end of the field, from whence the wind was
coming, anchored the end of the cover there, and then stretched it
along the beds, depositing bricks to hold the cover down as I moved
south. (Moving south seems like a good idea, come to think of it.) So
the wind actually helped in floating the fabric over the crops,
instead of into my face, had I started at the other end. I felt like
I'd won the jack pot as the piece of fabric was long enough. No
trudging trip to the monte to sort through the odd pieces trying to
patch it all together. I was elated!

Experience. It helps. Luck is even better. That evening, after even I
had quit work, the new row cover arrived. An entire roll of spot-less,
hole-less, life-saving fabric. The delivery man said, noticing the
soiled, pocked tents as he came in, I tried to get it to you earlier.
That's ok, I replied, we're resourceful. And, miffed.

Today, after twenty-four hours of cold rain, I took pity on the hens
and let them all out. Anything they'd be interested in eating is under
this miracle cover, so I'm not risking the crops to their voracious
appetites. Looking out to the front field, I see some of the hens
cavorting over the white expanses. They may be disappointed that the
lettuces are hidden, but they are so glad to be out of the muck in the
Hen House, that they are not griping. For once. *       *       *       *       *
 *       *       *       *       *

And for the farm stand this week, Wednesday and Saturday, 9-2, we'll
be lifting the covers and harvesting:

Succulent Spinach; Butterhead Lettuce Salad Mix; Tender Fall
Greens
Salad Mix; Baby Chard Salad; Baby Bok Choi; Chinese Cabbage;
Really
Long Radishes; Greenhouse Tasty Jade Cucumbers; Fresh Red
and White
Onions; Baby Dandelion Greens; for sure, the first of the Broccoli;
Green Bell Peppers; Arugula; Rapini; and Hen House Eggs.

Also Texas Coffee Trader's Organic "Morning Blend" coffee (by the
cup,
or you can buy beans and grind them at home, or in our TCT
grinder);
Pure Luck Organic's specialty chevres and feta;  Rain Water;
Larry's
Smoke-dried Tomatoes and condiments; Gause Farm Honey;
White Mountain
organic Tofu; Sweetish Hill Bakery's Fresh Bread on Saturday; Wild
Wood Bakery's Organic Spelt Bread and Spelt Cinnamon Rolls;
Holiday
Treats (Miles of Chocolate; Home on the Range home-made
Toffee); the
Farm Books (Eating in Season & Stories from the Hen House),
available
here at the farm, and at The Natural Gardener, Whole Foods/6th,
and
BookPeople.

So, as you come down the driveway on market days, a salute to
the
suffering troops in the field would be appreciated. Instead of darning
socks for them, we may have to darn up the holes. At any rate,
your
reward will come later! Carol Ann

PS:
Asti Trattoria (43rd/Duval) is hosting the Early Winter Farm to Table
dinner, this Tuesday, December 10th, at 7 pm. Appetizers plus four
courses, featuring the produce of winter, expertly prepared by the
Asti chefs. With wine ($55+t/t) or without wine ($35+t/t). Call
451-1218 for reservations. It's a lot of fun. Larry will talk about
farming in the winter, but he may not mention row cover!

--
Boggy Creek Farm
Larry Butler & Carol Ann Sayle