Hi! Tony,
I have little Walnut experience as an adult as I live out side the range they
do.

I came from a wet, cold area, which was good for growing them, but not good for
grafting them, as they bleed as you have found.

I have been told that the most successful nursery was in a very windy gully on
the edge of the range that had huge gully winds (gales) many nights. They made
the cut on a steep angle to aid drainage and faced the cut to the wind. They
support the graft with splints and get a good result. They also work but the
calendar to have the sap down at the time. So if planting new trees, look for
the windiest part of the property and be aware of positioning the cut surfaces
to catch the wind.

Gil