> This month Acres had an interview with DR Gerald Olarsch. The article
claims
> that research done in forties indicated that crops grown from hybrid seed
> (particularly corn) 'are incapable of taking up nutrients or trace
> elements'.  Being a sweet corn junkie this came as rather a shock. Is this
> true? Anyone familiar with these studies ?
>
> Ron Poitras
Hi Ron
           I dont know the science of this but its pretty well accepted in
eco farming circles that hybrids are able to grow successfully on trace
element deficient soils conversely that open pollinated and really any older
varieties need a much more complete spectrum of available trace elements to
produce good yields - makes sense I guess - the newer (including hybrid)
varieties have been bred and rigorously selected for bulk yield on
experiment station soils with poor trace element availability and excessive
use of N P K.-
          Maybe of interest - we are in serious drought here and it has
become very obvious that our  sheep are selectively grazing the wheat
stubbles that we have grown using a remineralising fertility program - we
still have a couple of paddocks on conventional fertilisers and when given
the choice they are going in them as a last resort, prefering to eat straw
to the ground in the mineral paddocks - sheep are in good condition (3 fat
score or better - good enough for the butcher) so its not a case of
desperation on their part.
Cheers
Lloyd Charles