Fish ponds are quite the norm on farms through out Asia. Providing food for the farmer and fertilizer for the fields.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Allan Balliett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun Feb 9, 2003  6:08:51 PM America/Edmonton
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Tilapia

However the fish in the pond have some choice as to what they eat. In a
tank or in any industrial animal operation, you are essentially engaging
in force feeding. The issue to a biodynamic farmer, who takes into
account the spiritual effects of his/her methods, would be how those
methods support the development and quality of life of the animals
involved--not just the human beings at the top of the food chain. It
seems to me that animals raised in confinement are being treated like
machines, something I would think we in biodynamics would not endorse as
healthy sound spiritual husbandry.
good points, Deborah. These are among the reasons why we never raised our own fish here in Balliettville. -Allan

Deborah
******