Hi! Tony,
It work well. If using tyres, cut the walls out. This is easily done with a very sharp knife. The secret is to keep wetting the blade and to stretch the cut apart as it is made. If you look at the tyre, you will find the tread is added on top of the rest of the structure, the edge of this is just outside the writing. This is the place to cut. The section of wall that is removed is good for hold mulch around tree and shrubs and if placed with the in side up, it makes a good edge to run the mower over when keep the fire load down.

When a potato shoots, it only sets spuds above the original eye, so one must either bury them deep or use something like this. If when you add more straw, also add some compost. I like to bend the tops down and cover them, as this gives more nodes to grow spuds from.

If you do not cut the wall out of the tyres, you can create a space which becomes a void for the use of rodents/ spiders/ reptiles etc. With the wall out all this space can be used.

I start by working good compost into the underlying soil and getting the seed potatoes established in the soil before adding the types.

In the dry Oz summers it can be difficult to judge if you are applying enough water. In the soil, just outside the bottom type, I like to have some indicator plants, such as plucking lettuce or silver beet, which will soon indicate if you are behind with the water. I also have a few garlic in also.

Gil

Tony Nelson-Smith wrote:

...Even if you don't have lots of space, you can enjoy an amazing yield of potatoes by growing in a container...

Bob Flowerdew, the unconventional member of a BBC gardening advice programme team, uses old motor tyres whose inner cavity is packed with straw. He starts off with (say) two and, as the shoots appear above the surface, adds several more units, one by one. The straw provides insulation for a very early planting and the earthing up increases the eventual yield. Haven't tried it myself, though! Tony N-S.

It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger today! http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger