Thanks, Nathaniel.

I finally got it installed and it works great!

I have one comment for posterity and a question:

Somebody out there might find it useful to know that the eqep2 pins (index,
strobe, a, b) are also broken out to beaglebone black pins 14, 15, 12, and
13 (header #s: P8_16, P8_15, P8_3, P8_12) (see derek molloy's
charts<https://github.com/derekmolloy/boneDeviceTree/tree/master/docs>).
I made a new device tree overlay for this pinmux, and so I was able to use
eqeq2 successfully without disabling the hdmi.

My question: Could you tell me or point me to some links explaining how to
disable or override the mcasp0_pins?  You mention that hdmi prevents eqeqs
1 and 2 from working by default, while eqep0 is available, but for me,
eqep0 won't work because pin 106 (header 9_41) is being used by mcasp0.  I
think I remember seeing some links on how to turn off the hdmi, but I
haven't tried them yet. Anyway, there isn't any mcasp cape in the slots
file, so I don't imagine it would work the same unless it's part of the
hdmi, but I'm fairly new to this kind of thing.

Thanks again,
- tbh