On Sep 28, 2013 3:35 PM, "Jim Blake" <jim.blake...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Robert, thanks for the quick answer!
>
> I'm thinking this process through to completion before I do anything, and
another question comes to mind:

> If I understand things correctly, to get the system that is on the eMMC
onto uSD I need to reverse the order in your script and run the scrip from
the running BBB .

> Having done that, I then install the uSD into a "virgin" BBB, hold the
User/Boot button and power on, and that will cause the "virgin" BBB to boot
from the uSD.

> Will that sequence of actions flash the eMMC from the uSD, or do I need
to use your other script:
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/tools/blob/master/scripts/beaglebone-black-copy-microSD-to-eMMC.sh

> from  the OS running off the uSD to flash the eMMC on the "virgin" BBB
with source and destination suitably adjusted to get a bootable eMMC?

> Thanks once again for your help
>
> Jim

All my scripts where written assuming microSD is device 0 and emmc is
device 1. To achieve that the micro SD must be installed before power up.
If you hotplug the microSD that assumption no longer applies as I have not
adjusted the script for the recently added hot plug support.

In that repo if you look very close at both the microsd to emmc vs emmc to
microsd scripts you notice they are exactly the same except for the source
an d destination variable.

> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > Guys (and Robert, if you are out there!)
>> >
>> > I am trying to clone my BBB (which is running Debian Wheezy, some
other open source software, and some home-grown HTML stuff) , using Robert
Nelson’s scripts: (
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/tools/blob/master/scripts/beaglebone-black-copy-eMMC-to-microSD.sh)

>> > If I boot my BBB without a uSD card in it, I get the following devices
in /dev

>> > mmcblk0
>> >
>> > mmcblk0boot0
>> >
>> > mmcblk0boot1
>> >
>> > mmcblk0p1
>> >
>> > mmcblk0p2
>> >

>> > but if I then put in a uSD (freshly formatted) , I get
>> >

>> > mmcblk0
>> >
>> > mmcblk0boot0
>> >
>> > mmcblk0boot1
>> >
>> > mmcblk0p1
>> >
>> > mmcblk0p2
>> >
>> > mmcblk1
>> >
>> > mmcblk1p1
>> >
>> > mmcblk1p2
>> >

>> > So the uSD is being recognizes as mmblk1 with two partitions. First
question is “why not /dev/sdb”…or have I misunderstood that bit?

>> > Second question...why two partitions on a freshly formatted uSD?
>> >

>> > Aside from that issue, I was going to try Robert’s scripts, but then I
looked at the start of the script and I saw:

>> > source="/dev/mmcblk1"
>> >
>> > destination="/dev/mmcblk0
>>
>> Just reverse those variables now that mmc hot plug works and make things
interesting.

>> > which looks “back to front”…if the eMMC is mmcblk0 and the uSD is
mmcblk1 (as shown by the lists above) then shouldn’t the source/destination
be the other way about? That looks very much like it will copy mmcblk1 (the
formatted uSD) to mmcblk0 (eMMC) and effectively erase the running
image/software the BBB.

>> > Any comments or suggestions would be welcome; I don’t want to brick
the existing eMMC image because it works, but at some point I’ve got to
bite the bullet and do *something* if I’m to clone this device. Apologies
if these are silly newbie questions, but I've migrated from the R-Pi and an
on a vertical learning curve (again!)

beagleboard+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.