On my experience with last Robert's Kernel (3.8.13-bone28) the only way to
reliable USB hotplug is to disable USB suspend when compiling Kernel.

juanjo@boil:~$ uname -a
Linux boil 3.8.13-bone28 #6 PREEMPT Wed Sep 25 15:18:48 CLT 2013 armv7l
GNU/Linux
juanjo@boil:~$ zcat /proc/config.gz |grep USB_SUSPEND
# CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND is not set