You don't need the kernel source. You can convert the compiled device tree
blob to the text version, edit it, and the convert it back to the binary
using dtc:

# backup the original .dtb
cp /boot/am335x-boneblack.dtb /boot/am335x-boneblack.dtb.orig

# generate the dts from the dtb
dtc -I dtb -O dts -o am335x-boneblack.dts /boot/am335x-boneblack.dtb

# modify the dts with a text editor

# generate the dtb from the modified dts
dtc -I dts -O dtb -o am335x-boneblack.dtb am335x-boneblack.dts