I have a Qt application (QML) that requires me to play videos.  I tried the
QtMultimediaKit with not much luck so I decided to switch to mplayer and
have had great success.  In my Qt application, I create a new process to
launch mplayer and it plays the video on the framebuffer just fine.
 However, if I have an element underneath the video that gets updated, the
element "pokes through" the video for as long as the element is updated.
 It basically looks like Qt and mplayer are fighting to paint the screen.

Is there a way to make mplayer take the highest z-order to prevent this
from happening?

mplayer -slave -really-quiet -vo fbdev2 -fps 15 -zoom -x 800 -y 400
myVideo.mp4