Thanks Robert. That sounds like a good plan.

Dave.

On 02/12/2014 12:56 PM, Robert Nelson wrote:

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM, David Lambert <d...@lambsys.com <mailto:d...@lambsys.com>> wrote:

    I am contemplating moving from 3.8.x to 3.13.x kernels due to the
    apparent improvement in USB support. I am confused, however, as to
    the state of device trees/overlays and their relationship with capes.

    It appears to me that 3.8.x kernels use device tree overlays
    managed by an internal kernel cape manager, whereas 3.13.x kernels
    handle capes using Robert Nelson's "Really Simple Cape Manager" to
    patch and recompile the base BBB device tree.

    My questions are:

    a) Are the above assumptions correct?
    b) Will the 3.8.x cape manager be ported to 3.13.x kernel or is
    RCN's rscm here to stay.

sadly, it only works for 'simple' things.

    c) Any other pointers?

I might have some free time this weekend..

The path i'm going to start heading for v3.13.x/v3.14.x is just to do separate major cape dtb's..

So in u-boot: fdtbase=am335x-bone or am335x-boneblack

cape=xzy (defined in uEnv.txt (lcd4-a1/etc))

Then it'll just load:
$fdtbase-$cape.dtb

on bootup..

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to beagleboard+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.