On Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:23:24 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:

> OH Fun! ;)
>
> I've had reports that xorg.conf change was causing lockup's when
> moving icons around, hence we changed it to the .xsessonrc workaround
> in the last week.

Robert,

I have just noticed now that my BBB is no longer blanking the HDMI output
after a period of inactivity.

Prior to these changes the display would blank after some period of
inactivity, and I would have to move my mouse to get it to start sending
video again. It has been sitting unused for an hour or more now (there is
an ssh session open), and it has not blanked the screen.

I googled Debian screen blanking and discovered what I think your
.xsessionrc commands are doing.

xset s off         # don't activate screensaver
xset -dpms         # disable DPMS (Energy Star) features.
xset s noblank     # don't blank the video device

I suspect you have disabled the DPMS features that were shutting down the
HDMI video output.

I don't need a screen saver, but I would like the video to blank after a
while. So I executed an xset +dpms command and then an xset q to check the
current settings and verify that DPMS was enabled. With DPMS enabled I
waited for 600 seconds (10 minutes), and my display blanked as I wanted.

I see that many people are searching for a way to disable screen blanking,
so I think this is one of those things that should be added to your FAQ for
simple ways to accomplish basic setup changes. I think the display should
blank by default out of the box both for the energy savings (135,000 BBB
boards could be preventing their monitors from going to low power mode) and
to provide a similar experience to what one gets using a Mac or PC. The FAQ
should explain how to change it, both to blank or not blank.

Is there any other reason you are disabling DPMS?