Nick:
  I have some bonescript code that works with the UART, but I'm not using
the built-in bonescript calls. It works fine with a GPS, though I don't use
it to transmit.

I took would like to see an example that uses the bonescript calls.  Before
ruing the code you need to:

beagle# *npm install -g serialport*

beagle# *echo BB-UART4 > /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots*

--Mark
#!/usr/bin/env node
// From: https://github.com/voodootikigod/node-serialport
// From: https://github.com/jamesp/node-nmea

var b = require('bonescript');
var nmea = require('nmea');

//console.log(b.serialOpen);

//var sp = b.serialOpen('/dev/ttyO4', {baudrate: 9600} );
// parser: b.serialParsers.readline("\n")});

var serialport = require("serialport");
var SerialPort = serialport.SerialPort; // localize object constructor

var sp = new SerialPort("/dev/ttyO4", {
    parser: serialport.parsers.readline("\n")
});

sp.on("data", function (data) {
    console.log("here: "+data);
    console.log(nmea.parse(data));