After some further testing I can clarify the behavior of the I2C-bus:
When I manually access the I2C-dev nothing happens, SDA and SCL keep 3.3V
the whole time.
When I use the command "i2cdetect -y -r 1" the SCL gets the typical
clock-look with about 4us high and low, except for its not going between
3.3V and 0V, but 3.3V and 2.8V. SDA on the other hand also periodically
keeps 3.3V for 2.5ms, then stays 0V for 1s.
All this behavior is unaffected, if I put additional external pullup
resistors or not.
Has anyone any idea whats going wrong?