Assuming that you have a microSD card with the /dev/sd1 partition formatted as vfat,
Copy a file with the following contents to /dev/sd1/uEnv.txt

    mmcdev=1
    bootpart=1:2
    mmcroot=/dev/mmcblk1p2 ro

- and when you reboot, the microSD should not cause a hang, but appear in the file system.

At least this works for me.