True, I could do it with another part fairly easily.  I was trying to keep
down the parts count (and cost) since the micro already has a 32kHz clock
and keeps time.  My pick and place machine (me) gets grumpy if the board
has too many parts.  ;-)

I'll add a supported I2C RTC device to the wish list for the A1 boards.

-Ron