I've been using a LEDscape fork that I think will better allow me to use
Python to write the bulk of my program, and then LEDscape to do the
Neopixel control.

https://github.com/Yona-Appletree/LEDscape

Everything works, except that you should check the uEnv.txt file in /boot
or possible /boot/uboot to make sure you've put the *.dtb file in the
correct place to be read.  Different distros do different things, so it's
hard to say exactly what you're looking for here.

Unfortunately, USPS is late, so I won't have my Neopixel Stick before I
leave this evening, so I won't be putting any time into this over the
weekend, but I do expect to pick this back up early next week.

-Ian