Just found this thread, adding my 2cents.

We are using kernel 3.8.13-bone30. We have seen many cases of ethernet
issues, usually that the ethernet port does not come up at all (no lights).
I would say it happens one out of every 20 boots. We are using a cape, but
just to extend i/o and provide power.

If anyone has any suggestions or kernel versions that work better, help
would be greatly appreciated. I am currently working on a workaround to
make the beaglebone detect the lack of ethernet and reboot itself, but this
could lead to some really long boot times, and not having the problem at
all would be much better!