On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 8:44 AM,  <sun19920...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I always used beaglebone white before, and I bought a new BBB one week
> ago.
> I followed steps on https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black
> to start with my BBB (so does Beaglebone white),
> However, my computer cannot detect ttyUSB0 through USB socket, but LEDs on
> BBB can blink. It seems microSD works.
> I followed the steps on eewiki except "usb gadget",  "HDMI", "eMMC", and
> "SGX" parts.
>
> I also followed steps for beaglebone white on eewiki  and that works.
> (Debian, v3.8,  my Ubuntu can detect ttyUSB0 correctly, so I guess that is
> not problem of file system or kernel or my host PC.)
>
> I don't know what happened to my beaglebone black, I guess that the problem
> comes from inittab or uEnv.txt, but I have no idea how to deal with it. (my
> BBB is Rev.C).
>
> If I eject my microSD form BBB, my host PC can detect ttyACM0 (that is a
> system on eMMC), but I have to use a recompiled kernel rather than Debian on
> eMMC.

Your getting tricked by a little software trickery. On the original
BeagleBone, there was an ftdi based usb-serial chip connected to the
usb slave port to give your pc a raw "/dev/ttyUSB0" device.  On the
BeagleBone Black this was removed to save $'s..

However, there is a usb-serial gadget, so we get the kernel to create
a usb-serial device (/dev/ttyACM0) in the default image.  It's done
here:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/boot/am335x_evm.sh#L76

That "usb gadget" section on my eewiki.net page would have enabled
that usb-serial gadget too..

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/