I had a chance to look at my problem again and I managed to get my BBB
connected properly. After the reinstall I went through the normal 3-4
sessions of Windows updates and restarts to install them. Then I updates my
motherboard BIOS and installed all of the applicable drivers from the
Gigabyte website. Two of the things I did were to install the latest
Realtek Ethernet driver for my motherboard and run the Intel INF update
utility. I still think my old Windows 7 install was probably causing me
problems due to how old it was and all of the devices I had installed
during that time, however, I also should have installed all of the
appropriate drivers from the Gigabyte website before posting that my
problem wasn't solved.

At this point I see all three devices listed in the device manager (Gadget
Serial under Ports, BEAGLEBONE under Portable Devices, and Linux USB
Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget under Network Adapters) and they are listed as
working properly. Hopefully if anyone else has a similar issue they'll be
able to get something useful out of this thread. Unfortunately, I don't
know exactly which step solved my issues but updating BIOS and drivers
seems like a good first step.