I'm trying to boot from a USB flash drive.  I essentially copy the u-boot
commands for booting from the SD card.  I'm running into a problem once the
kernel has loaded:

Begin: Mounting root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ...
done.
Begin: Waiting for root file system ... done.
Gave up waiting for root device.  Common problems:
 - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
   - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
   - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
 - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT!  /dev/sda1 does not exist.  Dropping to a shell!
modprobe: module i8042 not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module ehci-hcd not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module uhci-hcd not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module ohci-hcd not found in modules.dep

I plugged in /dev/sda1 as a place holder, but I can't find any indication
that the initramfs was able to detect a USB flash drive.  For some reason
it complains about ehci-hcd and ohci-hcd modules not being found.  The
stock kernel is able to mount flash drives without any issues using the
builtin usb-storage and musb-hdrc modules.

[    1.617727] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
[    1.625471] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[    1.634288] USB Mass Storage support registered.
[    1.641729] musb-hdrc: version 6.0, ?dma?, otg (peripheral+host)

I'd really appreciate any advice on how to detect and mount the flash
drive.  Do I need to make a modification to initrd?  Or do I need to
rebuild the kernel with the ehci-hcd / ohci-hcd modules?  Why isn't it
detecting the eMMC?