Ethernet will work without any configuration if you have dhcp on your
network. If not, you'll have to configure a static ip. If you do have dhcp
(you probably do) you can just change the hostname (
https://wiki.debian.org/HowTo/ChangeHostname) to something nice, then use
that instead of an ip for ssh, avoiding the insanity of a static ip.