I figured out how to change the watchdog duration.  The example program is
here:
http://embeddedfreak.wordpress.com/2010/08/23/howto-use-linux-watchdog/

And a good description of the available commands is here:
https://github.com/shengchao/beaglebone-angstrom-xenomai/blob/master/Documentation/watchdog/watchdog-api.txt

However, my first question regarding the kernel panic still remains.  Also,
if I do get a kernel panic, how do I record the error message/code so that
I can debug it later?