On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Robert Nelson <robertcnel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 9:53 AM, neo <prag.in...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jason
>>
>> Sorry to ask again. Will PREMPT be enabled in this ?
>
> Full "preempt" no, not by default, but i'm testing
> "CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY"..
>
> I'm still a little worried about the: "cost of slighly lower
> throughput." for some applications we need all 1Ghz...

I suspect most applications of BeagleBone Black will be more worried
about latency than throughput due to its "industrial" nature.
BeaglePilot, OpenROV, Lasersaur, MachineKit, Pocket NC, QuickBot, etc.
Sure, applications like Ninja Blocks, GrannyCam, and other "IoT"-ish
stuff might not care so much about latency, but they are probably more
interested in power management than absolutely highest performance.
Just my impression.

Would love to encourage more people to share what they are doing at
http://beagleboard.org/project and to reach out for project spotlights
on http://beagleboard.org/blog to give us all more of an impression of
what people need and are doing.

I'm more worried about if anything breaks like what the BeaglePilot
folks have been reporting about some PRU driver issues related to
PREEMPT.

I will say that simply using the RT scheduler without PREEMPT still
makes things "pretty darn fast" (TM) as can be seen in the UCSD
BeagleMIP which runs the balancing algorithm as a normal Linux thread
w/o the PRUs, kernel task or PREEMPT.